Monday, March 10, 2008

Independent Reading Project - Chapter Filler 10.29.07


For my independent reading book i read The Dead Father's Club by Matt Haig, which is a modern version of Hamlet. Here's a little synopsis of the book:

A ghost story with a twist - a suspenseful and poignantly funny update of the Hamlet story

Eleven-year-old Philip Noble has a big problem: His dad, who was killed in a car accident, appears as a bloodstained ghost at his own funeral and introduces Philip to the Dead Fathers Club. The club, whose members were all murdered, gathers outside the Castle and Falcon, the local pub that Philip's family owns and lives above. Philip's father tells him that Uncle Alan killed him and he must avenge his death. When Philip realizes that Uncle Alan has designs on his mom and the family pub, Philip decides that something must be done. But it's a much bigger job than he anticipated, especially when he is caught up by the usual distractions of childhood-a pretty girl, wayward friends, school bullies, and his own self-doubt. The Dead Fathers Club is a riveting, imaginative, and quirky update of Shakespeare's great tragedy.


For some odd reason, i really liked the Filler Chapter that i wrote.... it really brought out my imagination... so i hope you like!


The Weekly Routine

It was break time at school and usually Dominic Weekly and Jordan Harper would wait for me by the door like they’ve been waiting all day. It happened almost weekly. I turned around and there they were standing right in front of me. Jordan looked at me with his fish eyes and Dominic with his fist. I didnt know what to look at first.

I wanted Leah here. I thought if Leah was here she could save me from having a fist punctured into my ribs but Leah was not here and she was my girlfriend.

Even in school games I was never picked first by anyone. I would be picked last in every single game we played. Even Nigel Curtain who had curly brown hair and shorts like skirts would get picked before me. But somehow I was going to get picked first to get beaten up by Dominic and Jordan like I wanted it to be me. Its like someone placed a tag on me labeled Pick me Pick me.

Dominic grabbed me by my neck and pulled me closer to his giant fist and placed me in a head-lock between his armpits. I could smell his sweat as a combination of the boy he grabbed before me and his own distinct odor. I kept my nose shut and breathed with my mouth but then I had to close it because the sweat was dripping down my face and onto my lips.

I could see Dad suddenly appear by the dead-like tree. He looked at me with disgrace and said Do something! I said I cant I cant I cant. He said scream! I said I cant. He said SCREAM! I said I CANT SCREAM!!

Dominic dragged me toward the side of the field where there was no more of the soft green grass but hard cold cement by the silver fence. He threw me right into it and I fell hard. Jordan still looked at me with his fish eyes. I was not prepared for this and I knew Dad was Cross I had not done anything to stop them and for not defending myself but I was only 11 years old. Dominic and Jordan stood there and laughed and said Where is your Dad? Where is your Dad? Where is your Dad now Helmet?

The truth was my dad was dead and he was looking right at me with disappointment and said Youve got to run Philip.

I didn’t move. I was just laying there like a statue on the floor and looking at Dads Ghost. Dominic grabbed me by my shirt and lifted me up onto the fence. I felt my heart beating beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep. The only next thing was to get beat up. I just closed my eyes because that was all I could do and all I saw was the color of black. I felt my bones squeezing and muscles tightening.

Its weird how no one ever sees you when you get hurt. Everyone around seems to disappear into the shadow and the only people that are alive are you and them. No one ever walks by and no one knows. Its like god wants death to be a secret just like how dad died. No one knew he was actually murdered by Uncle Alan.

Dominic and Jordan were finally done with me after a 30 minute session. They walked away and quietly giggled and said We Will Be Back Again. I couldn’t really make out what they were saying because they spoke so soft and my ears were ringing. I was now on the floor with my hands wrapped around my weak body. Dad said Are you OK? I said OK.

1 comments:

Emily said...

I found this extremely fun to write after realizing what i would base my filler chapter on. Once i got started, everything just came out naturally. It is my other favorite paper work this year. I thought it was hilarious how i came up with the idea for the filler chapter and if you read the book, i think you would realize how great of a job i did in attempting to write like Matt Haig.